In his first public appearance since his stroke three months ago, Meghan Markle’s father thanked the British public for their support.
An exclusive video of Thomas Markle, 77, in GB News tonight marks his first public appearance since suffering a stroke in May that left him speechless.
It was shown during Dan Wooton’s interview with Mr Markle’s son Thomas Markle Jr where he spoke about his father’s recovery.
In the video, Mr Markle can be seen at a table overlooking a windswept beach. He is holding a whiteboard and pen and pointing the sign at the camera.
The sign reads ‘Hello Dan, Thank you and the British people for your best wishes and goodwill’.
Thomas Markle, 77, appeared in the video above a windswept beach in his first public appearance since suffering a stroke in May
Mr Markle thanked presenter Dan Wooton and the British public for their “best wishes and goodwill”.
The retired Hollywood lighting director suffered a stroke on May 23 and spent five days in the hospital.
He fell while shopping and had to be helped to his feet just days before he was admitted to the hospital.
After his release, he said: “I am very grateful and I know how lucky I am to be alive.
“I want to thank everyone, especially the wonderful doctors and nurses who saved my life. they are angels
“I was deeply moved by loving messages I received from around the world. People were so nice. I can’t speak right now but I’m working hard and will thank people properly when I can.’
Mr Markle had planned to fly to the UK in June to celebrate the Queen’s platinum jubilee, but a stroke, which left him with limited opportunities to speak, put paid to the trip.
Thomas Markle was hospitalized after suffering a stroke – he was in the hospital for five days and lost his speech
Dan Wooton’s interview with Thomas Jr airs tonight on his UK news program at 9pm
At the time, he wrote on a blackboard with a marker: “I wanted to come to pay my respects to the Queen. I wish her a happy anniversary and many more years to come.”
The massive stroke was caused by a blood clot on the right side of Mr Markle’s brain.
He was taken to a hospital near his home in Rosarito, Mexico, before being taken by ambulance to the US border, where an ambulance was waiting to take him to a hospital in San Diego, California.
He’s been in an intensive care unit all week and, as one doctor told him, has made “remarkable progress”.
He was able to speak a few words when he left the California hospital, but faces what he calls an “uphill battle” to regain his ability to speak.
“I have a lot of hard work ahead of me and will do it,” he wrote. “I want to get well. I am so lucky to have experienced incredible care and love. Thank you all.’
Mr Markle was cared for by his 56-year-old son Thomas Jr, who drove 11 hours through the night to be with his ailing father.
“I was visiting my son and his family in Oregon when I got the call,” Thomas Jr. said at the time.
“I will be there for Dad and do whatever I can to help him on his road to recovery. It was a terrible shock to everyone, but Dad is a strong man and determined to get well.
“He has already started working with a speech therapist and is making great progress. We have received hundreds of messages of support for him from people around the world.
“We are so grateful for the outpouring of love for Dad. I’ll be there for him as long as it takes.’
Mr Markle’s daughter Samantha previously said he may need a year of therapy to regain his speech after being crushed by the stroke.
His family were concerned about his high blood pressure for some time before he fell ill, leading to him even losing the ability to tell paramedics what was wrong with him.
The 77-year-old had to write down his symptoms on a piece of paper.
Mr Markle was forced to miss his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry in 2018 after suffering two heart attacks just days before.
Dan Wootton Tonight airs Monday to Thursday at 9pm on GB News.